Sunday, July 12, 2009

Releasing the Demon.




Have you ever made a resolution and go to bed all set on making it happen then wake up the next day and wonder why you even thought of making that change? It’s like waking up erases it all. Last night was just a moment of weakness or something. I don’t need to do anything.
That’s what it’s like for me on a daily basis. Lately I’ve been struggling with the idea of opening up to my parents. They know me more then I give them credit for: They pick up on things that I don’t even tell friends. They can look into my eyes and see straight through me. They know. But I still try to hide. My dad came to me one night a couple weeks ago and told me he was hurt by some of the bitter joking. I had just found out about some software he had put on the computer that allowed him to see every site we went on. I thought that was an invasion of privacy –A parent should know, but my dad had gone too far. So the anger of knowing came out in my joking.


While we were chatting about the software –his intentions were not to track what I was doing—, he said I shouldn’t have this secret life. A life I felt the need to hide from him. I don’t really have a secret life, just a life they don’t really understand fully. There are things I really don’t want to share with them, which is just about everything. He told me that I had a demon (not like a possession or something weird) inside of me, and that he spent a lot of time in the past years really worried about me.


Sometimes I want to grant him the father-daughter relationship he truly wants. I really thought I could make that happen this time. I woke up.


I go to work now four days a week and I live with my grandparents those four days. I’m not at home a lot anymore, so I stopped feeling the need to talk about be open with my dad. I keep putting up this wall and tell myself it’s ok not to talk to them. The scary part is I think I don’t want to.
But I did.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That happens to me all the time! I go to sleep thinking that in the morning I'm going to change my life and everything will be amazing, but in the morning it just seems so mundane.

What you said about barriers, I think it's so natural to want to protect yourself, my barriers come crashing down at the drop of a hat!

Maybe it works out, tell me if you ever figure out which way's best - to hide or not to hide!

Have a fab week xoxo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.