Saturday, November 19, 2011

Without a Shadow of a Doubt.

rain Pictures, Images and Photos

A couple weeks ago I met with a friend I hadn't seen for over a year. We went to dance together until she went off to college in Canada. We sat in Red Robin and tried to catch each other up on the goings on of the past year. I told her all about school, work, my boyfriend, and all that jazz. Her story was more about how she had no idea what it is she wanted to do with his life. She didn't know if she still wanted to pursue a degree in environmental science. She had no idea who she was. This was part of the reason why she took off a semester from college. And she's not the only one I know who is having trouble figuring what to do with the rest of their lives.

I felt so bad that she was dealing with this. It's overwhelming, really, not knowing where you're going in life. Everything is so uncertain, and all you can feel is the incessant ticking of the clock. But when I think about it, all this worry over what path in life your life is supposed to take, I don't know if I've ever experienced it. I was a sophomore when I decided that I was going to become a massage therapist. I had no idea what was entailed in being a massage therapist, but I had set mt sights on that career. When I set foot in the school (which I also picked out my sophomore year), did my first massage, I just knew this was what I was meant to do. Today, I just received my massage license in the mail. My license has only been active a week, and already I've had an interview.

The same thing goes with my boyfriend. Once we started talking, I just knew we were supposed to be together. Our chemistry was undeniable to me. He is my other half. I often say jokingly that he is my left brain, and I'm his right brain, but it is completely true. He's everything I'm not. I love him so much, and when I see him, I see my future. Our future. As I mentioned so many times before, now I've decided to move to be with him. 

There are so many other times in life that I could tell you about where I just had this certainty. I don't know if it is because I'm just really stubborn that when I put my mind to something, come hell or high water, I'm going to do it, or I have some innate ability to know what I'm supposed to be doing. Perhaps I'm better at living than I gave myself credit for. You don't have to have some clear picture about what your purpose is in life, and you shouldn't have to go far to find it. In living, you find your purpose --Or rather put, you are living out your purpose day by day, sometimes unknowingly putting the puzzle pieces together until one day you take a step back and see the whole picture.

0 comments: