Friday, December 19, 2008

When The Lights Go Out.

I absolutely loathe it when the power goes out. It's like the whole world stops suddenly. My house runs on electric not gas, so when the power goes out we have no heat. Wednesday night I was typing out a speech for my Rhetoric class when everything went black. My sister was in my room playing the piano, and started yelling my name. She's insanely afraid of the dark. So I walked down the hall to get her, and held her hand as we walked up stairs to light some candles. I had no idea what to do next. My sister and I were the only one's home. My dad and brother had braved the weather to go pick up my mom from work, and weren't back yet. As it turns out they were stuck in W. To make matters worse, my cell was dying, my dad had lost his, and my mom's cell was dying too. There was now no way to get ahold of each other.

I quickly called my friend R, who lives in the area, to see if he had power. She did, so I made plans to some how get to her house. I didn't want to be home alone without power. R's older sister was going to meet my sister and I part way down our hill. While we were standing there waiting for her, my parents drove by. Surprise surprise. They finally managed to get out of W. I raced back up the hill and into the house to call R and tell her A didn't need to pick us up anymore.

I was thankful when the power came back on an hour later. Trying to sleep in my room was impossible: I swear penguins could have survived in there. But the worst isn't over yet. Apprently the mother of all storms is going to happen tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the power doesn't go out again.

1 comments:

Nicole Linette said...

Haha, I figured people would get a kick out of that website :P

Gaaahh! Power outages are the worst :\ And you had to be the comfort for your sister, that must have been a bit nervewracking. I think what you did was the right thing, and I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

peace&love
nicole.