Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Choking Back the Nerves.

nervous Pictures, Images and Photos


I feel like I haven't blogged in forever! I do have some exciting news to share with you all. Last Tuesday I was talking to a friend, who told me I should try to help out back stage for the play in April. Try outs for the play were last week. I didn't think much about it until later that night. As I was thinking something occured to me: There's always this bond that forms between everyone who's involved with the play. and to some extent I've always wished to be a part of it. Plus being a part of the back stage crew would help me get to know everyone better. So off I went to talk to the director.

Earlier that day we had our concert dress rehearsal (don't worry this all ties in), and I had to swallow my fear and sing my solo in front of the whole school. It didn't go as bad as I thought. Anyways going back to that night, the director told me that I should just try out for the play. The play happens to be a musical, and after hearing me sing he saw no reason why I shouldn't. I frantically rushed off to find my sister, the assistant stage manager, to help me figure out what I needed to do. I couldn't have tried out without her help. She helped me prepare a song to sing for part of the audition. The song I chose was "All I Ask of You." Of course, I had to sing both Raoul and Christine's part.

During the try outs, I surprised myself: I wasn't nervous at all! I had to sing a song from the play and a song from The Sound of Music in front of everyone, and usually I shake like nobody's business. This time I didn't. Even more shocking was finding my name on the cast list the next day. The funny part about it all is I get to be a man haha. I'm the Duke from Huckleberry Finn. The first read through was on Monday, and I absolutely love my part!

Thursday night: The concert I was excitedly looking forward too. I was singing "That Yonge Child" by Benjamin Britten. The harpist accompanying me was amazing. Again, I wasn't feeling nervous: I told myself to breath, to have fun, and not to look at the people in the crowd. I get more nervous singing in front of people I know, so I was better off not recognizing a familiar face. I went down to sing my solo and made it through without shaking violantly. After the concert, I got a lot of "Wow I had no idea you could sing like that," "You sang like a friggin' opera," and "You gave me goose bumps."

Well I can honestly say now, if I didn't have a life before, I definitely wont have one now. I hope I make it through the next coming months.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations!! I love acting, I miss the stage so much... enjoy it up there in the limelight girl! even though you are playing a man, haha ;) I am so proud of you for getting up there and singing. I know that's not easy, so good job! And I hope you have fun with the play!

Anonymous said...

That's great! I'm working backstage too for my school's production of Willy Wonka (I am the costume director). I also do makeup with another girl AND I need to help people during costume changes. All of that and I'm still not invited to the cast party. :-( Maybe next play (Guys and Dolls) I'll audition to be in the cast.

Thanks for your support for my story. I'm glad people actually like it!

The vote has been almost unanimously Scabbers for my mouse. Which I found out I'm not getting this weekend but next.

PhilO♥ said...

Congrats ! Nice to know that you weren't nervous ! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, you described exactly how I feel. I get clingy because I want to fill the growing hole even though it's annoying. I'm sorry you feel this way, too. If I figure anything out I'll let you know.

BiLLiON $$$ said...

my sister went to a performing arts school she did drama there for a while i wonder if she was ever nervous
probably ;)