Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mute



I know I've said that I hate silence, but it just occurred to me that at the same time I love it. Let me explain. When I'm by myself, I detest silence. On the other hand, when I'm around people, there's nothing I want more than silence. This is rather a self-imposed silence; I don't want everyone else to shut up exactly, only me. Odd and confusing, I know. There are days when I don't feel like uttering a single word to anyone. Just a simple conversation seems like too much to bear. Instead of words, I use the occasional "yeah" or "mhmm" or "no" to respond to things. Naturally everyone thinks something is wrong, which is not always the case. It actually kinda bugs me when people ask me what's wrong. If there is something wrong, I can never put it into words. And if there isn't, then they just don't really believe me. I'm going through this right now. My dad was driving me and my siblings home from school, and I wasn't saying a word to anyone. He made a few comments about my quietness, but left it alone after awhile. As soon as we got home, I started making dinner, but was interrupted because my dad wanted to talk to me. Of course, he wanted to know what was up and if something had happened. I really didn't know how to explain it and didn't want to deal with it at the time. So I just said I was mentally exhausted and was suffering from a minor case of lethargy. I wasn't lying; I just wasn't telling the whole truth.


I'm a listener. I love listening to other people. Nothing makes me happier then when friends comes to me and tell me something that happened to them or something they're having a problem with or if they just need someone to rant to or someone to laugh with. I would expect nothing less from my friends if I ever needed someone to just be there and listen. It really is one of the most comforting feelings. Sure I may never really get what's bugging me off my chest, but at least I can help them with whatever is going on in their life.


Not every second of every day needs to be filled with talking. Take the time to listen, and you might be surprised with what you will hear.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A grunt is worth 1000 words.

I know! I don't you hate it when people ask you what's wrong when you're staring out into space thinking about what you're gonna have for lunch and you say "nothing" and they don't believe you?

The Cooking Lady said...

By the way, in case I did not tell you, I did see(with my husband) Josh Groban in concert down in Fort Lauderdale(About 1 &1/2 hours south of me)in January of 2005. I cried, he was that good.

Now to your post, which is great by the way, I have a few things to say.

First, you can tell people that you are in a pensive(I love that word)mood. Let them ponder on what that means. And for those who have the vocabulary of a 3rd grader, you can tell them you are just in a quiet mood. I did however, like how you explained it to your father. It is always best not to start a situation, with anyone, not just parents if you do not have to.

Tell them the truth, but find a different way of telling them. You did an ace job in explaining to your father how you felt.

Here is why people ask what is wrong. Because you are different from your norm. So it is perfectly normal for them to ask that question. It may tick you off beyond all known belief, but it is normal, so you will need to find a way to explain to them, without blowing them off how you are feeling...just food for thought.

It's me Red. Now that you mentioned you cook, check out my cooking blog. I have tons of recipes!

Nicole Linette said...

Haha sometimes, I just wish everyone around me would shutup. I stop talking sometimes because occassionally I'll just have those days where everything I do say comes off as bitchy, stupid, or just lame. I hate it :(

But listening to other peoples' problems is really great. I've been told by my friends that I do it well :)

peace&Love
nicole.

Anonymous said...

Aww, thank you! I may keep you to that. *Hugs back*

Luckily the teacher I was supposed to take the test for took pity on me when I crawled into his class, explained the situation and begged for mercy and is letting me take it tomorrow at 7:30 AM.

But I still hate hate! HATE! my biology teacher.

Anonymous said...

And if *YOU* also need someone to rant to my comment page is always a click away.

Sara Bear :) said...

this post was utterly amazing. i TOTALLY understand what your saying. this happened to me just a few hours ago. when i am in the middle of my silent torment, my mother always tries to pull me aside and ask me whats wrong. i always say the same thing,nothing, but sometimes nothing means everything. and i also love listening. especially to my friend's rants. it makes me happy to see their faces brighten when i respond happily to their outburst of joy. :) awesome post.

Anonymous said...

Ya ready for a rant?

I've got comments saying I'm a slut and I'm a freak and the characters in my short story The Orange Line (in my other blog Reading Corner) are sluts. I've tightened the security on comments but I don't feel any better. I know the real freak was the guy who posts nasty comments but I still feel like crying.

Mr Bam-bam said...

this is exactly my frame of mind. all the time. <3 u KJ