Sunday, October 26, 2008

Escape With Me.

I used to hate reading with a passion. I read boring school books 24/7, so doing any personal reading was a definite no. I had been doing some personal reading, but once I finished a book I wouldn't pick up another one for a very long time. That was until a year ago when I finally picked up Twilight. I'm not an avid reader yet, but I love reading. I have developed a habit (I guess you could call it that) where I have to go buy all my books. For some reason owning them is better than getting them from a library. I just have to know they're mine. I love the new book smell and the feel of the pages between my eager fingers. I believe my favorite place to go is a book store. I'm like a little kid in a candy store every time I go. Unfortunately with all the books I was buying, it kinda put a hole in my parents' pocket.

I enjoy the momentary escape from reality: To enter into the character's world. The best writers can get the reader to feel everything the characters feel. And trust me, it's hilarious to be around me when I read. I will literally sit there and make comments about what's going on as if it was actually real. I get excited, sad, nervous or whatever emotion comes across the pages. And when the book is done I'm beside myself: I almost wish I had never read those last few pages. It's an odd feeling when you're excited to finish a book, but at the same time wishing it would never end.

I'm not a fast reader: It takes me at least a week or two to finish a large book. But I almost like it better that way. I can enjoy them longer. In fact, I used to carry a book around with me in my purse. You never know when an opportunity to read would present itself. I did finish one book in a day; I started Sisters of Misery on the way home from vacation, and didn't put it down till I was done. And now as winter approaches, I'm euphoric to sit infront of the fire with a cup of cider and read. It's the most amazing feeling in the world.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading, I read every chance I get. Right now I'm reading "The Fellowship of the Ring". My favorite genre of books are fantasy and sci-fi.

Megan Kelley Hall said...

I'm glad you liked SISTERS OF MISERY! I love hearing when readers enjoy my book!

xoxo

Megan

Anonymous said...

People are the worst with all their petty little mind games! I hate games and I don't play games.

Don't go to the party (duh). Pretend she's a guy and break up with her. Tell her the friendship isn't going to work out because you have nothing in common blah blah blah. And if she thinks you're mean and nasty and tells people how much she hates you, I guess it's better than being pestered your whole life.

Anonymous said...

Just pretend you're breaking up with her. *shrugs* That's what I'd do.

Demeter said...

:) I'm a fast reader.

I think my love of vampires (and books) is wearing off on my friend. Today she asked me to go to the school library with her at lunch and then she asked me what a good vampire book was. I prescribed Vampire Academy because Rose is only semi-stupid around Dimitri twice as opposed to other heroines in vampire books who are all-stupid all the time.

Olivia Fuller said...

Oooh, books equal love :).
I'm the same way with savouring a book, I take along time to read it because I like to take in the details.

Basically, here's my outlook on relationships/breakups with best friends. Honesty is key, if they're your best friend, you should be able to tell them exactly how you're feeling and they should do the same. Ask questions, try to figure out the problem. As long as your both communicating, good things should happen. Not necessarily getting back together, but if you're on the same page, interacting with eachother is much easier. Just don't let things be awkward and do what feels right.

That's my summary :P, but if you want more advice, let me know cause I've been in the bestfriend love situation for nearly four years, so I might be able to help. If not, I'm sorry :(.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, thank you. I rewrote that piece no less than five times, so I'm glad I turned out ok.

P.S. I'll be updating every Wednesday. :-)