Saturday, October 11, 2008

You have bewitched me, body and soul.

I'm going to come right out and say it: I love watching Pride and Prejudice. I don't care if it's the 6 hour A&E version or the new one staring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfayden. I'm a sucker for romance movies. I watch Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, The Notebook, Phantom of the Opera, etc. over and over again. Somehow I never get tired of those movies. I love getting swept away in the moment and feeling every emotion then the sigh of relief when they realize that they're meant to be together. Although, when the movie ends, it's always bitter-sweet.

How many of us wish we could end up with the dashing young man aka a Mr. Darcy for example? I know I do. And perhaps that's why I find the endings bitter-sweet. The men are always so perfect even with their flaws. I wish there were more men like them in the world. Unfortunately I think they went into hiding a long time ago. Can I get a moment of silence?
Does the perfect man exist? Certainly not. But watching those movies make me not want to give my heart away to just any guy. Actually, I find myself jealous of those women who end up with the almost perfect men. Very jealous. Why can’t I find a guy like that? Partly it is my fault. Although, I’m almost kind of happy just "dreaming" of the perfect man. It would be nice to have the special someone, yet I honestly don’t think I can handle that kind of commitment. I guess I just answered my own question. I can’t find a guy like that because I don’ t try to find him, and I am ok with that.
Why fool yourself into thinking you can take on the responsibilities of a relationship? Why does every girl need to have a boyfriend? I finally thought all of this through: No I’m not ready for a relationship and I definitely do not need a boyfriend right now. I have to admit that guys just let me down; I’m expecting things to just be absolutely amazing, but then I realize it’s not going to be that way. The guy is never going to know exactly what to say and do when it’s appropriate; he’s always going to some character quality that just gets under your skin; he’s going to let you down. The perfect man is meant to only exist in the realm of imagination and fiction.
Am I a love cynic? The answer is YES!
Sorry that sounds so depressing, and sorry that this blog is all over the place.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's ok if it's all over the place. Variety is the spice of life.

I LOVE Phantom, he is my perfect man. *Ignores the stares of people who think it's weird my perfect man is a reclusive, deformed, possessive musical genius* Dark musicals and romance movies (my favorite being Ever After) are my drugs. I'm a hopeless romantic. There's no shame in it.

But once you meet your perfect guy, you WILL think he's as good as Mr. Darcy.

PhilO♥ said...

Hi!
just saw your blog..its nice...i like the background !! :)
n ya i like that movie too ! :)

Anonymous said...

I know! In the 2004 movie when she comes back to give him her ring and he looks up when she's turning away is the saddest look on any human being face I've seen in my entire life! I'm like Pourquoi Christine???

Jocelyn said...

oh goodness, I can't watch those movies if I am having a bad day, they just make me feel really crappy and sad that guy's aren't that perfect. And that is how I feel about McDreamy in Grey's Anatomy... do you ever watch that show? I love him... anyway- you're right no man is perfect...

Anonymous said...

The fainting thing was the scariest because I was in the shower and fell backward out of the tub and I think I hit my head on the toilet on the way down because when I woke up my head was right under it. I guess I'm lucky I didn't faint forward into a pool of water.

I also have to go to the dentist's Friday for another appointment which may require me to open my mouth wider than I can. That could be a problem. But I fully understand why some people don't put their kids on antibiotics.

Anonymous said...

Haha, it's ok. Thanks for your concern, my head's fine except for the swelling. But I have to keep taking the anitbiotics until Friday. I personally think modern dentistry is such a scam because teeth are just supposed to be for chewing. imo it doesn't matter if they're perfectly straight.

Anything new with you?

Stephanie said...

Pride&Prejudice.
I like the 6 hour version.
It lasts longer.
&&;Sweet blog. =]

Anonymous said...

I took the PSATs today. It was brutal. I hate the math sections.

*jemima* said...

I <3 Pride and Prejudice. When Mr. Darcy (in the Keira Knightley version) asks her how her trip went and he's so emotional about seeing her again, he ends up saying trip really oddly in an endearing manner that makes my heart crack a little.

Sara Bear :) said...

OMG! i absoulutely LOVE Pride and Prejudice! and Sense and Sensability and The Phantom of the Opera!!!
i wish my own personal Mr.Darcy exsisted. he kinda does when i'm off in my own fanatasys.
anyway. i totally agree. no girl NEEDS a guy.
but i hope when i meet a decent one he'll just add to my happiness, because i know deep down. there's no such thing as the perfect guy. but maybe there's someone out there whos close.
i LOVE this post. Your blog continues to amaze me.

Sara Bear :) said...

oh! and i love the title of this post too! thats my FAVORITE line in the movie. that scene is soooooooooooooo................
well you know.

Anonymous said...

This blog is som amazing, may I link you??

Nicole Linette said...

I am a love cynic too.

In fact... hahaha if I had a Mr. Darcy, how happy would I be :]

Amazing movie.

peace&love
nicole.

Red said...

Remember there is a distinct difference between need and want, and many a people think they 'need' something and all it is, is their greed for 'wanting' something.

Never 'settle' for a boy when a man is out there somewhere. And man back then were gentleman. Today's males were raised in barns.

One of my husbands bosses had to ride to a meeting with him and she was seriously impressed with how he maintains his vehicle. And she said ti him, "I can always tell what a man is going to be like by how he takes care of his car." And she is right. If the boys car is a filthy mess, then take a guess on how he is going to conduct himself...probably like a pig, what a shocker there.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. If you falter in how you feel about yourself, then you will be made to feel inferior. But stand strong in your beliefs, and you may be laughed at now, but who will be laughing in 10 years when your life is together and theirs is not.